A brief summary of the relevant forms of protection currently available in the UK is set out below:
Original drawings, and other graphic works, are protected by copyright as artistic works, under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.
The garment itself will also be protected by copyright if it qualifies as a work of artistic craftsmanship.
Copyright in artistic works/works of artistic craftsmanship lasts for the lifetime of the artist/creator plus 70 years. If applied industrially, copyright lasts for 25 years from first marketing.
If the garment does not qualify as a work of artistic craftsmanship, it will be protected (if an original work) under the 1988 Act by design right. This lasts for 10 years from first marketing (with a further 5 years maximum to cover the previous research and development stages).
Copyright and design right arise automatically as soon as a work takes some form from which it can be reproduced (including storage in a computer). No action is necessary to establish, secure or maintain copyright, though it is advisable to mark the work (as a warning to others) with the standard copyright formula: © + name of copyright owner + year of creation. No cost is involved.
If original works, textile designs are protected by copyright as graphic designs, that is, artistic works, as regards the original drawing and as surface decoration on the finished work.
If surface decoration is not involved, protection of the finished textile is by design right (see Information Sheet 16 - Product Design).
For the term of copyright/design right see the section on Garment Design above.
If original works, labels are protected under the 1988 Act by copyright as graphic works or as surface decoration (see 1. and 2. above).
Protectable by statute only as trade marks, under the Trade Marks Act 1994. Requires registration at the Intellectual Property Office. For more information about Trade Marks go to www.ipo.gov.uk or to the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys at www.itma.org.uk or to the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys at www.cipa.org.uk. Registering a trade mark involves some cost.
In addition to statutory protection, all the above items are potentially protected under the "passing off" area of the common law (which has been shown by recent judicial decisions to be a strong form of protection in cases where reputation has been clearly established).
GENERALSince this is a complex and specialised area of the law, anyone intending to go into business involving the reproduction of copyright works is strongly advised to take expert legal guidance about their own situation."
(Britishcopyright.org. (2017). www.britishcopyright.org :: Fashion Design. [online] Available at: http://www.britishcopyright.org/information/design/fashion-design/ [Last accessed 16 Nov. 2017].)
Here's the boring stuff:
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
(2) Information We Collect
If you choose to use this web site and our products/services, we may require you to provide contact and identity information including:
- Your name, address, email address, and other basic contact information.
- Communications and other messages, including correspondence between Murky Apparel | Alternative, ethical, independent clothing and you.
- Non-personally identifiable information that we gather, including your IP address, computer sign-on data, statistics on page views, traffic to and from this web site and individual pages on this web site and data that we may collect through cookies or other means.
- General information regarding our products/services you have registered to receive.
(3) Our Use and Disclosure of Your Information
We may use your Personal Information to:
- Provide our products/services.
- Resolve disputes, calculate and collect fees, and troubleshoot problems.
- Verify your identity and the information you provide.
- Encourage a safe online experience and enforce our terms and conditions.
- Improve our products/services and customer experience and inform you about our products/services and updates.
- Provide you with information that may affect your use of our products/services.
- Communicate marketing and promotional offers to you.
We do not sell or rent your Personal Information to third parties. We may share, and you hereby consent to our sharing of, personal information with the following:
- Service providers and affiliates who assist in the delivery of our products/services we provide to you, the enforcement of our terms and conditions, and the promotion of trust and safety.
- Third parties if we believe that disclosure is advisable or necessary to comply with the law, to enforce or apply our terms and conditions, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Murky Apparel | Alternative, ethical, independent clothing or others. This may include exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.